Gingerbread cookies are fun to make and are favorites for Christmas holidays especially if you go with the popular gingerbread man or gingerbread woman shapes!
- 3 hrs 10 mins
- 6 to 8 mins
- Mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Plastic wrap
- Wire rack
- Rolling pin
- Measuring cup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 21/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- Frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat shortening on high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients: baking powder and soda, cinnamon, sugar, ginger.
- Whisk shortening and dry ingredients together.
- Add molasses, egg and vinegar to combined mixture.
- Gradually add flour and mix in mixture until doughy.
- Separate dough into two halves, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Remove dough halves from refrigerator one at a time and let stand for 5 minutes; sprinkle flour on surface and roll dough into 1/4” thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place cut dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet 1” apart
- Bake cookies for 6 to 8 minutes or until they are lightly brown
- Allow cooling for a few minutes then transfer cookies to cooling rack