Cookie dough cookies are very easy to make and can be used as the foundation of many other fantastic cookie recipes including sugar cookies, peanut butter cookies, and oatmeal cookies, but it can also be prepared and eaten in its basic form as a tasty treat. They are especially perfect for kids and moms on the go that are looking for a no-hassle cookie recipe. The cookie dough can be cut into any shape making them ideal for fun occasions such as Halloween; add a tint of food coloring to get some wicked colors!
- 7 minutes; 3 hrs chill time
- 8 to 10 minutes
- Cookie sheet
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and butter in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add egg and vanilla to creamed mixture; beat until well mixed.
- Gradually add flour combination to creamy mixture. Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Divide the dough in half and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 3 hours. Remove from refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll the dough between two sheets of lightly floured wax paper to ¼” thickness.
- Use cookie cutter to cut dough into desired shapes and use a spatula to place cookies on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow cooling for 5 minutes before moving to wire racks for complete cooling.
- Cookies can be topped with nuts, cherries, colored sprinkles or any desired topping prior to placing in the oven. Just stick your topping in its center to add a tinge of color and flavor.