The heart shaped when seen is instantly linked with thoughts of love and happiness and it is no wonder that when someone sees a shamrock cookie (which has a heart shape) joy exuded from its smell and taste. Here we will provide the right instructions so that you can make your very own shamrock cookies that you can share with loved ones and even if you are not used to being in the kitchen, shamrock cookies can still be fun to make.
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Cookie sheet
- Cookie cutter (heart shaped)
- Mixing bowl and electric mixer
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of butter
- 1½ cup of shortening
- 2 cups of sugar
- 5 cups of flour
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Place the sugar, butter and shortening into the mixing bowl and cream them out together with the electric mixer.
- Use a whisk to beat out the eggs and then gradually add them in along with the milk, vanilla and salt until these elements are incorporated.
- Slowly mix in the flour until it forms the dough and then now use your hands to work it in.
- When the dough is thick and nice, roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick and apply more flour as needed so the cookies can be rolled out.
- Use the heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the shamrock cookies and place it onto the cookie sheet. Position the cookies on the cookie sheet so that the tips at the bottom overlap each other.
- Take some more dough about the size of a small walnut and roll it into a rope. Then press them out a inch of the dough rope onto the bottom of the shamrock cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cookie sheet into the oven and let it bake for 12 minutes and monitor it for the duration of time. At the end of the process the cookies should be golden brown.
- When the cookies are baked, take them out and allow them to cool. Then you can add cookie sprinkles to decorate it and also add icing if you wish.