Sugar cookies are quite easy to prepare and very versatile as you can add a number of elements to switch up the flavor if desired. Some persons will add chocolate, peppermint or lemon to spruce up the flavor. Cookies are good crisp and crunchy or soft and chewy, make them the way you desire by following this recipe.
- 2 hrs 10 mins
- 7 to 9 minutes
- Cookie sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- Plastic wrap or waxed paper
- Cooling rack
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup chopped coconut or preferred nuts
- Sift and combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar using mixer. Add egg and milk to creamed mixture.
- Place mixer on low speed and add the flour combination along with coconut/nuts. Beat until mixture lifts from the sides of the bowl.
- Separate dough in halves, wrap in waxed paper or plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Apply powdered sugar to rolling surface and to rolling pin.
- Remove one dough-half from refrigerator and roll out to 1/8” to 1/4” thick, ensure dough is not sticking to surface. Once you have finished rolling the first half, remove the second half from refrigerator and roll. Roll dough thinly for crisper cookies.
- Cut out cookie shapes and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet at least 1” apart.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are browned.
- Remove from oven and allow cooling for a few minutes before moving to rack.
- Store in air tight container.
For more information on Sugar Cookie Recipe read:
Sugar Cookie Recipe